6/20/2012

Texas Oven Roasted Beef Brisket

Texas Oven Roasted Beef Brisket


This is what I made last night for my family and the other family I cook for.  It is not a quick dinner, but it is low maintenance.  Plus, your house will smell like glory - so good.

Texas Oven Roasted Beef Brisket

2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons salt
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon ground pepper
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 bay leaf, crushed
4 (or so) pound beef brisket - I think mine was 7 pounds
1 1/2 cups beef stock

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Make a dry rub by combining the first 8 ingredients.  Rub the combined seasoning all over the meat - that's why it's called a rub.  Place the meat in a roasting pan and put in oven, uncovered, for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, add beef stock to the roasting pan and cover the pan tightly.  Lower the temperature of the oven to 300 degrees and continue cooking brisket for 3 hours more, or until fork tender.  You can cook this longer, but not shorter time.  I have cooked a larger brisket (about 10 pounds) all day at 250 and it came out fine.  The brisket last night, though larger, was only cooked the 4 hours and came out fine.

Let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes before you slice it.  Slice across the grain.

6 comments:

  1. I'm definitely trying this one! Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, *now* I'm hungry. This sounds sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've grown away from eating red meat, other than a very occasional burger, stroganoff, or when we hit Outback. This is serious stuff, well worth seconds, thirds, and fourths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I made this the other night. Family liked it, all leftovers are gone. I used chuck roast because the brisket at the store was HUGE. I later realized that they probably would have cut one to size, but, maybe next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippee! I've used this rub with pork roast, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying this today. Can't wait to try it, looks so good! I love beef brisket. I'm sure my family will love it too.

    ReplyDelete