11/18/2012

Kids Craft Apple Turkey


When I was a child, my mom would make these turkeys with us every year.  We would use them as decorations on our Thanksgiving table.  I have done the same with my kids.
 
The kids that live at home are now 18, 16 and 13.  When they saw the items on the table, every single one of them got excited and said "Thanksgiving turkeys?!" (or some variation.)  Good times.
 
You can use anything you want for the tail.  I usually use colored marshmallows, but I didn't have any.  I also think that the non-organic fruit/candy things would be easier (softer) and more colorful.  Use whatever you want.
 
First - get your ingredients.  You will need apples, toothpicks, raisins, craisins, marshmallows, and anything that you can stick a toothpick through.
 
Second - break 2 toothpicks in half.  Put 2 in a triangle shape for the base.  I know, I know.  A turkey only has 2 legs, but these turkeys will fall over without 3 legs.  Just call it "artistic license."
 
Third - make sure your turkey can balance.  I usually have the two toothpicks in the "back", the thicker part of the apple.  These might need to be pushed in a little further that the front one.
 
Fourth - make the tail.  Use 5 to 7 toothpicks, odd numbers work best for some reason.  Stick the gooey stuff on the toothpicks, leaving about 1/2 inch to insert into the apple.  I like to do each "feather" the same, I'm weird like that, but do whatever you want.  Let your kiddos do whatever you want.  We don't judge.
 
Fifth - stick the "feathers" in the wide part of the apple.
 
Sixth - Make the head.  For the head, I use a raisin and a sliver of craisin for the "gobble-gobble". (I don't know what it is called, that is what my mom always called it.)  Insert them on a toothpick, leaving a bit of point showing for the beak.  I partially broke my toothpick to bend the neck, but you don't have to.
 
Enjoy.
Gobble. Gobble.

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's just adorable. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

    ReplyDelete