2/20/2013

Hungarian Goulash - slow cooker style

I remember the first snow of the season.  It was so pretty.  Everything was white and clean, fresh and exciting.  I loved it.  I am sure I will love it again next time winter is beginning.

I am over it for this year.

I want the snow to go away.

Now.

Over it.

That said, it is still very cold.  We are expecting even more snow this week.  It is still time for what I consider winter food.

This was something that my family really enjoyed.  It is really easy, as most slow cooker meals are.  Go ahead, try it.


Hungarian Goulash

3 pounds (use more if you want) beef, cut into chunks (I bought pre-cut stew meat at the grocery store)
1/4 cup flour (use cornstarch or rice flour if you are gluten-free)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 large onion, large dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup water (just fill the can 1/2 way)
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup sour cream (plus more for garnish if desired)

noodles, rice or mashed potatoes to serve with the goulash

Turn on your slow cooker to the high setting (you will turn it down later.)

In the slow cooker, combine the beef, flour, sugar, salt, paprika, dry mustard and cayenne. Stir it up.

To the beef mixture, add the onion, garlic, tomato sauce, water and Worcestershire sauce.  Stir it up.

Put the lid on the slow cooker and change the heat setting to low. Cook on low for 7 - 8 hours.

When the stew is cooked, remove the lid of your slow cooker and add the sour cream.


Serve over cooked noodles or rice or mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment