7/26/2013

Bumbleberry Jam (less-seeds)





Of all of the jams and jellys that I have made - and the number is legion - my all time favorite is bumbleberry.  Bumbleberry?  What kind of berry is that?  What is it?

I'll tell you.

It is summertime in a jar.

I love berries.  All kinds of berries.  This time of year, here in Connecticut, the raspberries are ripe and they are everywhere!  My kiddos are used to me always having some kind of container in the car and shrieking calmly observing, "RASPBERRIES!" as we drive along.  At this point I quickly   frantically calmly and safely pull to the side of the road (if you have ever been to rural CT, you know there are no "sides" or "shoulders" to the roads) and pick a few.  

I think I get this from my mom. One of her favorite (and mine) things was hot biscuits, slathered with butter, doused with home-canned blackberries.  You eat it with a spoon.  Then you lick the bowl.  Twice.

This jam is reminiscent of that.  It is a combination of raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and rhubarb.  You can add other things.  I have added strawberries or peaches before - but this is my favorite combo.  I do use more fruit that sugar in my jams.  I didn't used to, but I really like the fruit to shine.  It does here.  I also puree the berries in my food processor and them smash them through my chinois.  This is totally optional.  I just like fruit more that seeds - thus it it is less seed jam as opposed to seedless jam.  Get it?


Bumbleberry Jam (less-seed)

2 cups rhubarb, cleaned and chopped (about 3-4 stalks)
5 1/2 - 6 pounds berries and fruit (my favorite is blackberry, raspberry, and blueberry combo) - you will have around 8 cups of pureed/mashed fruit
4 Tablespoons low-sugar pectin (this is more that 1 box, about 1 1/3 boxes)
5 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon butter

Prepare your hot water bath canner, jars, lids and rings.  This makes 12 half-pint jars plus a partial pint for the fridge.

Place your chopped rhubarb in a large pot.

Mash or puree and mash and strain and have a good time with your berries.  You should end up with about 8 cups of berries.  Give all of the seeds to your chickens. What? You don't have chickens yet?  Why?

Mix all of the fruit and rhubarb in a large pot.  

Mix your pectin and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a small bowl.  Add this to the fruit, along with the pat of butter, and bring it to a rolling boil.  Stirring frequently.

Once the fruit is at a full, rolling boil, add the rest of the sugar all at once.  Stirring constantly, bring back to a full rolling boil and let boil for 1 minute.

Remove from heat and skim off any foam that has appeared.

Fill the hot jars with hot jam, leaving 1/2 inch headspace at the top.  Wipe the rims and top with the hot lids.  Tighten the rings to fingertip tight.

Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Remove to a towel draped counter and let cool.  You should hear the pings of power very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment