8/17/2013

Kettle Corn Cob Jelly



 Hello.  My name is Audrey and I am a canning addict.

It's true.

I had made corn relish the other day http://ahawker.blogspot.com/2013/08/corn-relish.html and was then looking at all of the corn cobs.  They were juicy and some still had part of the kernel on them.  They smelled very good, fresh and corny.  Do I just throw them to the chickens?  Why no!  I decided to boil them and make something with the resulting broth/tea/corn infusion.

Why not?

I have a problem.

I really didn't expect to like this jelly.  Just the idea was a little off-putting.  I don't even like regular pop corn (it has to be homemade, preferably caramel corn.)

It was weird.  It was really good!  Who knew?!?

I made some cornbread (here is my favorite sweet cornbread recipe http://ahawker.blogspot.com/2012/08/chili-and-cornbread.html), slathered it with butter and this jelly.  I took a bite.  Angels sang.  Okay, maybe not angels, but at least a really good choir.  I am even going to make some more.

So, my fellow canning addicts, don't just toss those corn cobs to the chickens, do something with them.  Amen.


Kettle Corn Cob Jelly
makes about 6 half pints

4 cups (1 quart) water from boiled corn cobs (I used about 12 corn cobs in a big pot of water)
4 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons low  sugar pectin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Prepare your jars, lids, and water bath canner.

Boil the heck out of your corn cobs.  For a long time.  I didn't time it - sorry.  It simmered a long while because I forgot about it.

When you think it is done, scrape the cobs while in the water, with a spoon to get all of the milk and germ.  I did this the night before I made the jelly, just measuring out 1 quart.  I dumped the rest because i didn't think I would like it. Big mistake.

Now you can throw away the cobs.  The chickens probably don't want them at this point.

Mix, in a small bowl, the pectin and 1/2 cup of your sugar.  Add the pectin mixture to 1 quart of the broth in a large pot.  Bring to a boil.  
Add the remaining sugar all at once.  Bring back to a rolling boil and boil 1 minute.  Remove from heat.

Stir in the salt and pepper.
Ladle the hot jelly into your hot jars.  
Wipe the rims.  Place the hot lids and rings on each jar.  
Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Remove from the bath and place on a towel draped counter.  Listen for the pings.
I love the pepper flakes floating serenely in the jelly

Try it!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I just made your recipe. Only I doubled ALL of the ingredients to make a larger batch.The jars are still hot but I am a little nervous because the consistency is like water, not jelly like at all. Praying that it thickens as it cools. Did I do wrong by doubling everything? I did double the pectin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it gel on the spoon at all? I've not double it before, so I don' know how it will react. If it doesn't thicken in a day or two, I would probably open them up and re-boil. I'll ask on Canning Granny - the best source for answers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete