3/20/2014

Enchiladas and Red Enchilada Sauce



 
I grew up eating Mexican food all the time.

My mom was born and raised in Mexico - it's major comfort food.  Her enchiladas were a staple in our home.  Even as adults, both of my siblings and I would count on Mom to make enchiladas.

Her enchiladas (and mine) are stacked like pancakes.  They have no meat, but are often served with a fried egg on top.  Don't judge - it's really good.  We always had pinto beans and lettuce with the enchiladas, too.  My mouth is watering just typing this.

I always used canned enchilada sauce - just didn't want to go to the trouble of making my own and the mole (I don't know how to add the accent on the "e", but it is the Mexican paste, not the animal) at the store always had peanuts in it and my oldest is very allergic.

Then I realized - it's not difficult!!!

It is super easy and you don't have the tinny canned taste that is in the tins 'o sauce.  You can make it with our without tomato sauce/juice - it's up to you.

Here's what I did.  I did use tomato sauce, because that is how I like it. The color is going to depend on the color of your chili powder.  This recipe makes a couple of quarts, but I like to have some in the fridge.  My kiddos put it on everything.  I was also planning on making chilaquiles for my kiddos birthday breakfast - his favorite.


Red Enchilada Sauce

1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chili powder (yes, 1 cup.)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth OR 1 quart EACH broth and tomato sauce or juice

Get all of your spices and liquids measured and ready - it goes fast.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the flour and stir together for one minute.  
Stir in the remaining seasonings.  
Gradually add the broth, whisking constantly to remove lumps.  Add the tomato juice/sauce if using.  Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.

Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.



Stacked Enchiladas

20 corn tortillas (this amount varies, but this fed 5 people.)
enchilada sauce
cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
oil
and egg for all who wants one
chopped green or white onions, if desired


Ask everyone "How high?"  and build the enchilada as high as requested.
*warning - more than 5 slips around a lot.*

Heat the enchilada sauce in a medium pan.

Place 1 tablespoon of sauce on a plate.

Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan.  
Saute a tortilla in the oil until the tortilla bubbles, about 1 minute per side. (you don't want it crispy)
Dip the cooked tortilla in the sauce and place on the sauce on the plate.  You can add a bit more sauce if desired.  Sprinkle with about 1 Tablespoon of cheese.

Repeat this process until you have the enchilada as high as the eater desires. 

Fry an egg, if you want, and put on top. Sprinkle with chopped green or white onions, if desired.          


No comments:

Post a Comment