11/22/2014

Caramel Corn



I like popcorn.

I don't like popcorn.

It's a conundrum.

Okay, I like popcorn that I make at home that isn't microwaved or full of fake stuff like the movie theater chemical slurry "butter" or flavoring.

I love caramel corn. (except those little shell casings that always get stuck in my teeth......) *TMI warning* - I'm picking them out right now.

I have said before that my oldest kiddo is very allergic to peanuts.  Try finding a caramel corn that isn't at least "made in a facility that processes peanuts" or has traces.  Really - if you do, please let me know.

So, if we want caramel corn in my house, we make it.  It's pretty easy.  Here's how.  Don't be afraid.

Love my whirly-pop


Caramel Corn

huge bowl of popped plain popcorn - I used 1 cup of unpopped popcorn.  I don't know the equivalent of microwave popcorn (you really shouldn't use that stuff)

2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 - 1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon baking soda

In a medium pot, combine the sugar, butter, molasses and water.

Bring to a hard boil, stirring frequently.

Boil the caramel until it reaches the hard crack state, about 320 degrees.  If you don't have a thermometer, don't worry.  Hold up the spoon and let it drip into the pot.  If the drips end with a spider web-like thread, it is done.

Take off heat.

Working quickly and stirring constantly, add the baking soda.  It is going to bubble and lighten in color.  Keep stirring until the baking soda is completely incorporated.  This is a chemical reaction and will keep the caramel from becoming too hard and binding your teeth together (like Hagrid's treacle fudge in the Harry Potter series.)

Pour over the popcorn and start turning, stirring to combine.  
Keep stirring until the kernels are separate and yummy.

Eat it up.

Buy floss.

1 comment: