11/25/2015

Stuffing Waffles with Mashed Potatoes and Turkey Gravy






Tomorrow is Thanksgiving!

We have wild turkeys all over.  
We have so much to be thankful for.

My sister and her family celebrated Thanksgiving early this year.  You see, Claire, her daughter (my niece), will be receiving a bone marrow transplant at the end of this month.  Here is her story, if you are interested.http://courageforclaire.blogspot.com/2015/11/day-7-wbc-3.html?spref=fb

Anyway, with her leftovers, she made waffles out of stuffing.

I know!

Why have I never done this before?

I went out and got a box of Stovetop Cornbread stuffing (don't judge - I usually make homemade, but this was an experiment.)  I had a half of a Costco rotisserie chicken.  I had leftover mashed potatoes.  I had cranberry sauce.  I frequently made fast cheater gravy.  I was set.

It was so good!  

If you are vegetarian, substitute the chicken or turkey for mushrooms.  Sauté them first, and make the gravy with them.  It should be lovely.

Here is what I did.


Stuffing Waffles with Mashed Potatoes and Turkey Gravy

4 cups (about) of leftover stuffing - I used cornbread
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
mashed potatoes
leftover chicken or turkey
gravy - leftover or quick gravy (I'll put the recipe at the end)
cranberry sauce 


Get every thing ready.  Warm the potatoes, heat the gravy and add the turkey/chicken/or mushrooms to the gravy.

Heat your waffle iron.

Put the stuffing in a large bowl.  To the stuffing, add the eggs and milk.  Mix it up. It should be moist.  If you need to, add more milk.

To the hot waffle iron, add a dollop (about 1/2 cup) to each section.  Cook until hot and crispy.

Put the waffle on a plate.  Pile on a scoop of potatoes and the hot gravy with cranberries on the side.

Eat it up.

The perfect bite

Quick Gravy

2 cups hot water
1 Tablespoon chicken or beef stock (I like Better than Bouillon)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
*mushrooms (for vegetarian version)
*1/4 cup butter (for vegetarian version)
*2 cups vegetable stock (for vegetarian version)

*If making vegetarian gravy, sauté the mushrooms in an extra 1/4 cup of butter until brown. Remove from pan.  Proceed as for the meat gravy, substituting the vegetable broth and adding the mushrooms at the end.*

Mix the hot water and the chicken or beef stock.  

This is a gravy whisk.
I love my gravy whisk.
In a deep sauté pan, melt the butter.  When the butter is melted, whisk in the flour to make a roux.  Cook the roux for a minute or two, until it turns golden.

Whisking continuously, add the chicken or beef stock.  Keep stirring until the gravy thickens - it won't take very long.

To the thickened gravy, add milk and pepper (it doesn't usually need salt, but I don't like gravy super salty.  Do your own thing.)

To this gravy, you can add chicken, turkey, sausage or hamburger.  It is great over biscuits or mashed potatoes.

There you go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment