6/29/2012

How to hard boil an egg

How to Hard Boil an Egg

Last night, I asked one of my clients (who happens to be under 5 years of age) what I should cook for dinner tonight.  He wanted "chicken on the bone, cooked round eggs, and strawberry cupcakes."  I interpreted this request as fried chicken (I have lived in the south for a big portion of my life), hard-boiled eggs, and the cupcakes.

When I delivered this dinner, with the chicken golden, the cole slaw creamy, and the fruit salad fresh, what was remarked upon the most was how well the hard boiled eggs were.  No green ring around the yolk, the yolk firm yet not dry.  At that point I had my 2nd request regarding my blog.  How to hard boil an egg.

Here you go.

Start with fresh, good eggs.  I know that the white eggs at the huge store are cheap, but, in the case of eggs, you get what you pay for.  I actually thought I was allergic to eggs for years.  Then I got chickens.  I can eat those eggs.  Now, I know that you might not have chickens, but you have farmers markets or organic options.  Whatever you want.

Take the eggs and place them in a pot.  Fill the pot with cool water to cover the eggs by 1 inch.  Place pot on stove and cook on high until the water boils.  Remove the pot from the heat.  Cover the pot with a lid and let it sit for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, place the eggs under cold running water until they have cooled off enough to handle.  Peel and enjoy.  The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel, however.  Good luck.

P.S. - I'll put the recipes for the chicken and cupcakes on later.

No comments:

Post a Comment