7/04/2012

Shrimp Po'boys with Remmoulade Sauce

PappaH just had a birthday.  Only on my family's birthdays can they request a meal and have a 99% chance of me making it.  He wanted shrimp po'boys.  Remember, we live in New England.  Good Louisiana fare is hard to come by - unless you make it yourself.  Cool.

This one was pretty easy.  I thought that I would buy the remoulade, but it was $5.99 for a 6 ounce jar!!!!! $5.99!!  Really?!? It's not even hard to make, so I'll include that recipe (I took it from Emeril), too.

Fried Shrimp

Vegetable oil, for frying (I use canola)
2 pounds large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tablespoons Emeril's Essence Creole seasoning (or creole seasoning of your choice)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups cornmeal (yellow or white)

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan or preheat a deep fryer to 360 degrees. I usually remove the shrimp tail, just pinch right under the tail and it will come right off.  I don't want anything to interrupt my eating of my sandwich.  Season the shrimp with 1 Tablespoon of the Essence.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and remaining Essence.  Dredge the shrimp in the seasoned flour mixture, coating the shrimp completely.

Fry the shrimp in the hot oil, in batches if necessary, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.  Remove from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate.


Remoulade Sauce

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 med. onion)
1/2 cup chopped green onions (about 1 bunch)
1/4 cup cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
2 Tablespoons chopped garlic
2 Tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard (deli-style or creole)
2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
3-4 Tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (I never actually measure this)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process for 30 seconds.  Use immediately or keep in the fridge.


To make a Po'boy sandwich, take a hoagie bun and slather with the remoulade.  Place lettuce and sliced tomato in the bun.  Pile shrimp in the bun.  Season with Tabasco, if you want.  Serve with potato chips (it's traditional).  Gobble up.  Yum.

1 comment:

  1. My choice for dinner was fish and chips or po' boys. Since we'd recently had fish, I figured the menu should be shrimp. Those sandwiches were absolutely scrumptious. You can also add some mayo (remmoulade on one half, mayo on the other, lots of shrimp, tomatoes, and lettuce in between). Tabasco is almost essential - MommaH had to make the shrimp seasoning somewhat mild, so the red sauce was necessary for a good kick.

    Wonderful and fabulous. Am I a lucky man!

    ReplyDelete