7/28/2012

Marinated Beef and Vegetables

This is a really easy and fast meal.  I love the Asian influences.  I was going to call the veggies "stir fry", but since I didn't use a wok, I balked.  This meal is never exactly the same.  I always use whatever I have in the fridge for the veggies.  It all works.  Just don't over cook the veggies, with the exception of the onions and peppers.  I like those well done because it brings out the sweetness.  The meat would have probably been better on the outside grill but it was SOOOO hot and humid.  Being a hot weather wimp, I pulled out my George Foreman Grill and cooked it on the countertop.  Very tasty.  I poured the drippings in the drip pan back over the meat for an extra punch.

Grilled Beef and Vegetables

2 or 3 good size round steaks
Marinade, 1 bottle (I used Kikkoman Toasted Sesame. Teriyake is good, too)
3 cups cooked rice
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup fresh green beans
1 summer squash, diced
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
2 mild banana peppers, sliced
1/2 bag of pre-cut cabbage (cole slaw mix)

A couple of hours before dinner, place all the beef in a gallon ziplock back.  Add 1/2 the bottle of marinade.  Seal bag, pushing out the air as you go.  Marinate in fridge for 2-8 hours, turning the bag if you remember.

Heat grill.  Cook the beef 5 minutes per side.  Let rest on a cutting board for 10 to 15 minutes.  Slice against the grain.

While the beef is cooking add oil to a hot saute pan over medium-high heat.  Add onion and pepper to oil.  Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and starting to brown.
Add the rest of the veggies until then are hot but not soft, stirring frequently. 

Add the cabbage and the remaining marinade and heat through.  Don't overcook the veggies.
Serve beef and veggies over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment