7/21/2012

Easy Homemade Ice Cream

We have a church party today.  A few weeks ago, in a moment of insanity, I said that I would make homemade ice cream for this party.  Hmmm.

As I sent the kiddos to the garage to get the ice cream freezer (you know, the old-fashioned kind that you add ice and salt to freeze), I was thumbing through "Woman's Day" magazine.  I saw a recipe for easy ice cream that you don't use the specialized freezer with.  You just whip it up and put it in your freezer until it is hard.  I thought I would try it.

It is fantastic!

Easy.  10 minutes labor, tops.  I made 6 gallons.  Vanilla, fresh peach, oreo and banana.

When I followed the recipe exactly, it was a little too sweet.  That was fine for the vanilla and peach flavors, but I decreased the sweetened condensed milk for the oreo and banana flavors.  One quart of cream makes one gallon of ice cream.  I doubled the recipe - hello 6 gallons - but you can do what you want.

Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. 
 Beat until stiff.
Place in a freezer safe container.
Freeze overnight.
Yum.

This is really a rich ice cream, emphasis on the cream.
You can add any flavor you want.
I added things after I beat the cream, before I put in the container.
What I added:
peach: 5 chopped and slightly mashed ripe peaches
banana:  4 mashed bananas (I was going to add chocolate chips to this one, too, but didn't have any)
Oreo:  oreos (duh), about 1/2 a container, broken into pieces

4 comments:

  1. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to the party - which is outside - without it melting. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ice cream was really good and didn't last long. Most of the 6 gallons were snarfed and some was given to take home. I found the vanilla too sweet, but the cookies and cream just right.

    Long live ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember that time in Kansas that we managed to use too much cream (Or the wrong kind?) and the ice cream was like almost solid fat? Boy, that stuff was good! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot believe I typed "like" in there. *shrug* It is Monday....

      Delete