7/13/2012

Pork Chops and Potatoes

This has been a crazy week.  My oldest kiddo left for 2 years (see the California San Fernando blog) on July 4th.  My second kiddo left for girls camp on Monday, my fourth kiddo left for girls camp on Tuesday, my 3rd kiddo left for High Adventure camp on Wednesday (this also involves me picking them up on Friday and Saturday.)  We had very expensive plumbing issues that were resolved on Wednesday and Thursday.  My puppy had the last of her shots on Wednesday (after which she had a mess in the car - with the water at home turned off because of the plumbing issues.)  My fridge died on Wednesday, along with the food it was holding *sigh*.  I got a new fridge and had it delivered the same day because - hello - personal chef.  I need to have access to the food I need to cook.  Oh yeah, and I'm still cooking for my clients and my family.

Whew.

This recipe is one that goes together fast.  It takes a while to cook, but the actual labor is really low.  It is also a recipe that freezes very well.  When I make it, I usually double it and stick one in the freezer for another day.  I will usually, also, double the potatoes for each pan just to fill the gaping holes that are my kiddos stomachs.  If you only have one or two to feed, just freeze up the portions you need in aluminum pans.  Voila.

Pork Chops and Potatoes

6 pork chops
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 Tablespoon oil
1 can cream of celery soup
2/3 cup evaporated milk (1/2 can)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt (I have never added this and it is fine)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded cheese (Cheddar or Monterrey Jack or mozzarella or a combo)
2/3 cups French fried onions
1/2 32-oz bag frozen hash browns

Prepare a baking pan by spraying with nonstick cooking spray.  If cooking immediately, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sprinkle chops with seasoned salt and brown in oil on both sides.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine soup, milk and sour cream until smooth.  Add salt, pepper, cheese and onions.  Mix in uncooked (mine are still usually frozen) hash brown potatoes.  Place potatoes in prepared pan. 
Arrange chops on top of potatoes.  Cover with heavy foil.

Label and freeze or skip to the next step.  If frozen, thaw in the fridge for a couple of days before you want to cook.

Bake, covered with foil, for 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment