12/04/2012

Pear Crisp (with apples and raspberries because I didn't have enough pears)

When I was cleaning out my fridge (okay, not actually cleaning, but throwing out the old stuff.  Don't judge me.) I found a bag of pears. Perfectly good pears.  Just the right amount of ripeness.  Lovely.  I ate one.  Juicy.  No one else wanted one. I knew the pears wouldn't last much longer - they were at that perfect stage now.  I thought of Pear Crisp!
 
When I chopped up the pears, there were five left, I didn't have enough for a crisp that would feed my teenagers.  Hmmm.  Apples?  Raspberries?  A masterpiece was born.  Yum.
 
Pear, Apple, Raspberry Crisp
 
5 pears, peeled and diced
4 apples, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 Tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
2 Tablespoons orange juice (about 1/2 orange)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup raspberries (I used fresh.  It should work with frozen, too)
 
Topping:
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans (just leave them out if you don't want them)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
 
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel, core and dice the pears and apples.
Throw them in a big bowl.
Add the zest, juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Stir it up.
Fold in the raspberries.  They can be delicate.  I bet this would be good with substituting cranberries for the raspberries. Hmmm.
Pour the fruit into a baking dish - mine is 13x9.
 

For the topping, combine all of the ingredients except the butter.
 
*If you need gluten free, substitute the flour for another kind of flour or more oatmeal.*
 
Pour the butter on the dry ingredients.
Mix it up until it is in crumbles.
 
Sprinkle the topping on the fruit.
 
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes.
 
I think I'll have mine with vanilla ice cream.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment