3/16/2013

Quiche

When I lived in France, I was a missionary.  This means that I had no money, or very little.  We ate quiche a lot.  It was cheap and filling and good.  I have put many things in quiche - from hot dogs to fish.  Most of them were pretty good.  Except the fish quiche.  Seriously, don't do the fish.

This one is my favorite.

 I still can't make a decent pie crust, though.  I use Pillsbury refrigerated crust "scrolls". Not as good as my sister's, but good enough.

You can substitute the bacon for anything except fish.  Crab is good.  So is ham or chicken.  I add a little thyme with chicken.  Sometimes I add a little spinach to the quiche.  It's all good.


Quiche

pastry for 1 9-inch one-crust pie
12 slices of bacon, crispy fried and diced
1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded (about 4 ounces)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup half and half
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Put the pastry in a 9 inch pie pan.  (If you only have an 8 inch pan, reduce the amount of cream by 1/4 cup.)

Sprinkle the bacon, onion and cheese in the crust.

One or our chickens gives us double yolked eggs, the overachiever.  I am not sure of how to count it, so I count it as 1 egg.
Beat eggs slightly. Beat in the remaining ingredients.


Pour egg mixture into the pie plate.

Put the quiche on a foil-lined baking sheet (trust me, it overflows frequently) and place in the preheated oven.

Cook, uncovered, in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.  Cook, uncovered, until a knife inserted halfway between the center and the edge comes out clean, about 30 minutes longer.  Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment