4/06/2013

Strawberry Mango Balsamic Jam


I like the color of this jam - the vinegar makes it kind of burgundy


I have been a slacker in writing down my recipes.  I have taken some pictures of things that I have made, but I didn't write down what I did.  *sigh*  I will probably have to make the recipes again, and hope I can recreate each dish. 

I said this same thing to my family.  I thought I would get groans as they shared my frustration.  Oh, no.  Instead, I got, "I hope you didn't write down the jam bars!  I really like those!"; "I didn't see any paper for the Tres Leche Cake!  When do you think you can do that?";  "Does this mean we get clam chowder again really soon?!?"

Yep, a lot of support.

As I contemplated the contents of my fridge (come on, you know that you do it, too), I noticed strawberries quickly ripening yet not enough for a batch of jam. That was the initial purpose for the strawberries, but I have kiddos and I didn't label them for their purpose.  Okay, I like to see the kiddos eat healthy  snacks, so I didn't say anything.  Same thing for the mangoes.  Hmmm.

Strawberry Mango Balsamic jam was born.

Here are a few words of advice, if your sugar doesn't say "pure cane", it isn't.  It is probably corn and beet sugar.  That will make your jam runny.  Not good. Also, I use good Mexican vanilla.  I order it by the case.  You can get it here.  http://www.globalgoods.com/mexicanvanilla.html
If you only have Mc....ck vanilla, just skip it.  Really.  It is not worth using.


Strawberry Mango Balsamic Jam

jars and lids (this made 5 half pints and 2 pints of jam)
crushed strawberries and mangoes to make 4 1/2 cups of fruit
1 package (3 Tablespoons) low-sugar pectin
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon good vanilla, or 1 vanilla bean - split and seeds scraped
1 small pat of butter
5 1/2 cups sugar (make sure it is cane sugar)

Prepare jars and lids and get your boiling water bath going.

Hull your strawberries, cut them up and crush them with a potato masher.

Slice and dice your mangoes.

Add the fruit to a large pot.  Add the vinegar, lemon juice and vanilla or bean and seeds.  Sprinkle the pectin around and stir it up.

Turn on the heat to med-high and stir frequently until it is boiling.  Add the pat of butter here.  It keeps the jam from foaming as much.  You don't have to, though.

Add the sugar all at once.  Stir frequently until it begins to have a rolling boil.  Boil for 1 minute.
Remove from the heat.

Ladle into the prepared jars.  Wipe rims. Place lids and rings on jars.  Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment