5/10/2013

Granola




I am on a journey.  An "I want to be healthy" journey.  I have been in the process of steering my family away from processed foods.  It hasn't been easy, but it is totally worth it.  At the same time, I am very overweight. Yep.  It's true.  I treat food as my drug of choice.  It's good - but it is not something that you can quit cold turkey.  A girl's gotta eat!  Amiright? 
Me and my beautiful sister, Mary.

Anyway.  Right now I am choosing to not eat carbs.  I can have anything I want.  But, today, I am choose to not eat carbs and I am choose to watch my sodium and fat, too.  I have also chosen to follow the Medifast plan.  I have lost 19.8 pounds in two weeks.  Wow.  My 18 year old daughter has lost 19 in 3 weeks (she started this eating transformation) and my 13 year old daughter has lost 6 in two weeks (she's on a teen program that encourages healthy carbs).  We are all feeling better and have more energy.  It is amazing what a little change in cooking will do for the whole family.

However, I  do have a family.  This includes 3 teenagers who DO eat anything and everything and a husband that does choose to eat carbs.  My barely 17 year old 6'4" boy - also the healthiest eater of us all (he doesn't like junk food or processed food.  I, on the other hand love fat and sugar like I love my own children.  Hence the problem.) - is hungry ALL THE TIME.

sigh

One of his favorite snacks is Greek yogurt with granola.  Here is my favorite recipe for it.  You can leave out the M&M's if you want (I know that they are not healthy.)


Granola

4 cups rolled oats
1 - 1 1/2 cups mixed grains (wheat germ, oat bran, flax)
2 cups nuts (pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup (the real deal, not flavored corn syrup)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 - 1 1/2 cup dried fruit (raisins, craisins, dried cherries, etc.)
M&M's or chocolate chips (optional)

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine the oats, grains, nuts and salt in a big bowl.  Mix it up.

Combine the sugar, syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon and vanilla in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

As soon as the sugars start to boil, remove from heat and pour over the oat mixture.  Stir it up.

Spread the oat mixture on a baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.  Stir once during baking.

Let the granola cool completely.

Stir in the fruit and chocolate.

Store in an airtight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment