5/17/2013

Scallops with Pesto and Pasta (or spaghetti squash for me)

 
I have been craving seafood, among anything that sounds like it has lots and lots of carbs.  I am ignoring the carb craving, but there is no reason not to indulge in the seafood craving.  Yum.  When I mentioned to a friend that I was going to cook some kind of seafood tonight, she looked shocked.  It came out that she never cooked seafood.  She loved it.  Ordered it in restaurants frequently.  But, she was afraid to cook it herself.

Wow.

I had no idea.

I am poor financially challenged due to having 4 kiddos, one on a mission, one in college, one in high school (we all know that public school isn't free), and one home schooled.  What this translates to is that I don't often have the opportunity to order seafood in restaurants.  Not wanting to do without, I copy what others describe to me. ;)

You can too.  Don't be afraid.

The scallops I got at Costco.  They are pretty good there.  The pasta I used was whole wheat and I used jarred (Costco again) pesto sauce.  I made spaghetti squash for me and my oldest daughter (we are carb-free right now). I show you how to cook spaghetti squash here

http://ahawker.blogspot.com/2012/09/spaghetti-squash.html

Easy peasy.

Quick, too.

Scallops with Pesto and Pasta

24 large sea scallops (about 2+ pounds)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
3 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
1 pound pasta (I used whole wheat linguine)
1 cup pesto 

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and add pesto.  Mix and place the pasta in a large serving bowl.

Pat scallops dry.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until it ripples in the pan.
Add the scallops, a few at a time - they should sizzle as you put them in the pan.  Don't overcrowd or add too fast.  This will cool your pan and they won't brown properly.
Saute the scallops, without crowding them, 1 minute on each side or until browned.  
Set aside and keep warm.  Repeat the procedure until you have all the scallops browned.

Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.

Add butter to the pan and melt the butter.  To the butter, add garlic and parsley.  Cook 30 seconds.

Return scallops to the pan and toss to coat.  Heat for about 1 minute.  Add to pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment