10/05/2013

Linguine with Red Clam Sauce







I am such a slacker.  I have been canning up a storm.  I have, however, let family dinner time slide to the side.

I know.

I feel very bad about it.

It took my 17 year old kiddo (#3) to ask if we could please have a family meal...all together...you know, at the table...together.

*sigh*

I needed something fast that everyone would like.  Dinner was to be in just 20 minutes.  Got it.


Linguine in Red Clam Sauce
this makes a bunch - it is really good as a leftover.  Feel free to cut it in half.

2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons garlic, minced (about 6-8 cloves)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup white wine
1 can (as close to a pint as you can get it) tomato sauce
1 can (close to a pint - I jar my own) diced tomatoes OR bruschetta
2 cans (6.5 ounce) chopped clams in juice
2 pounds linguine
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Cook the pasta as directed.

Meanwhile, to a large, heavy pot, heat the olive oil.  Add the garlic and red pepper to the hot oil.  Cook until the garlic is fragrant but not brown. This only takes seconds. Watch it closely.  It is sneaky.

Add the wine to the oil and heat until it starts to reduce.

Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, clams with the juice, and basil.  Simmer for 10 minutes (I simmered until the pasta was done.)

Add the drained linguine and the parsley to the sauce.  Stir it up.  Cover and let the whole thing sit for about 5 minutes so the pasta can absorb some of that goodness.

Serve with the Parmesan cheese.

It is really good with a salad and some crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment