9/17/2012

Apple Cake

Apples are in season!  It is my favorite time of the year.  The leaves are just starting to change here in New England.  There is a nip in the air in the morning and the evening and the time in between is perfect. 
This was the sight that greeted me this morning at 7am, right outside my house.  This is the time that apple picking starts.
 
I have taken my kiddos apple picking since they could gnaw on a hunk of apple.  I love it.  I actually have 2 apple trees in my yard.  Yum.
 
This cake is truly from my grandma.  I don't know where she got it. I remember making it for her bridge club when I was in my 20's, along with cucumber sandwiches and other finger foods.  Ah, good times.  This is one of those cakes that is even better the next day.  Love it.
 
 
Apple Cake
 
4 cups of peeled, diced apples (about 5 medium apples), I like granny smith
2 cups sugar
2/3 cups vegetable or canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 11X9 baking pan OR a bundt pan.
 
In a large bowl, mix together the apples, sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs.  Mix well.  The apple are going to produce juice.  Trust me, don't change the order of ingredients. (been there, done that)
To the apple mixture, add the flour, soda, salt and cinnamon.  Mix until well blended.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 55 - 60 minutes.  Let cool.  Frost with cream cheese frosting (recipe follows.)
 
 
Cream Cheese Frosting
 
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
 
Cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.  Gradually add sugar until incorporated.  Add vanilla and beat until fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment