6/10/2013

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate





Finally it is June.  I planted my garden with the help of PapaH and the kiddos.  It has rained to water the garden.

And rained.

And rained.

*sigh*

I am thankful for the rain.  It makes everything so green and beautiful.  I would like to be thankful for the sunshine, too.  Soon.

Lemonade makes me think of sunny summer days.  Strawberry lemonade is a step beyond.  I am smiling just thinking of it.  Strawberries are also in season right now.  Go ahead, get a bunch.  This concentrate is so easy to do.  I got the recipe from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.  If you don't have it yet, go get it.

The recipe says to reconstitute one part concentrate with one part water.  This is a little too strong for me and my family (even the kiddo who likes things strong enough to dance on.)  I reconstitute it with 3 parts water and ice to one part concentrate.  Perfect.


Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate

6 cups of hulled strawberries
4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 cups sugar

Prepare your canner, jars and lids.  This made 6 pints plus more to make a big pitcher of lemonade right away because who wants to wait.

Juice lemons and add to a large stainless steel saucepan.

In a blender or a food processor, puree strawberries until smooth.  Add to the lemon juice in the saucepan.

Add the sugar and stir it up.

Heat the mixture to 190 degrees, stirring occasionally.  This will be right before it starts to boil (you don't want it to boil.)

Ladle the hot concentrate into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe the rim and place hot lids and bands on the jars.  Tighten.

Place your jars in your canner, making sure they are completely covered with water.  Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes.  Remove  jars, cool and store.


No comments:

Post a Comment