6/10/2013

Strawberry Lemonade Jam




We have been loving the Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate that I made.  Because we have been going through it, I decided to make another batch.  I pureed the rest of my strawberries, which came to 4 cups.  Fine.  I could deal with that, even though the recipe says 6 cups.  I could adjust.  Easy peasy.  Then, I juice the rest of my lemons.  I only had 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice.  Oops.

It was after the stores had closed, too.

Double oops.

Not wanting anything to go to waste, I decided to try to make the fruit into jam.

Eureka!

It is so good!  The color stayed more true to the strawberry color, probably due to the large amount of lemon.  It is sweet and tart.  Lovely.  My 18 year old daughter says that it is her new favorite.  High praise, indeed.

All of my kiddos have been eating it all week.  They LOVE it in plain yogurt.

Here is what I did.

You're welcome.


Strawberry Lemonade Jam
makes about 7 half pints

1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 cups pureed strawberries (a little less that 4 pounds)
pat of butter (optional)
4 cups sugar
1 package (3 Tablespoons) low-sugar pectin

Prepare your canner, jars and lids.

In a large saucepan, combine the lemon juice, strawberry puree, butter and pectin.


Heat the fruit until it comes to a hard boil.

Add all of the sugar, all at once.

Stir until it comes to a hard boil, again.

Boil for 1 minute.

Remove jam from the heat.

Skim off the foam and let your kiddos taste it.  

Ladle the hot jam into your prepared, hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe the rim.
Center the lids on jars and screw the band down until fingertip tight.

Place jars in your canner, making sure they are completely covered with water.  Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes.

Remove from boiling water bath to a towel covered counter.  Cool and wait for the pings of your jars sealing.  Store sealed jars in your pantry.  If any jars don't seal, store them in your refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment