1/22/2014

Pumpkin Bread










During the autumn, I was obsessed with all things pumpkin.  I loved the color.  I loved the smell.  Lovely.
My youngest picking out pumpkins.

I had baked a few pumpkins, pureed them, and put them in bags to freeze for later.

It's later.

Today is a really cold day.  It was below zero this morning.  It warmed up to 1 degree by 10 am.



  My youngest kiddo did the throw boiling water in the air and see it turn to steam thing.  I know it is all over the internet, but it is really cool.  We learned about the Mpemba effect, molecular bonds, covalent bonds, the reasoning behind the different boiling points, and the density of water at different temperatures.  Did you know that water is less dense the colder it gets?  Yep.  We also touched on molecular chains of water inside narrow capillaries.  Very cool.


Anyhow, it is cold.  The radiator pipes for the main floor of our house froze. Upstairs and basement has heat, but the main floor doesn't. Good thing we have a wood burning stove.  I was craving baked goods (it would also help to heat the kitchen).

Oh yeah!  My pumpkin puree.  Time for pumpkin bread.  Just the smell makes me feel warmer.


Pumpkin Bread

3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice *
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree OR 2 cups pureed pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour two loaf pans.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spice.
To the flour mixture, add all of the remaining ingredients.

Mix it up.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

My kiddos like this with cream cheese or Nutella.  I know.

If you don't have any pumpkin pie spice, here is how I make mine.  It makes about 5 Tablespoons.

Pumpkin Pie Spice

3 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves

Mix it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment