1/02/2014

Tuna Patty

My mom used to make tuna patties all the time.  That and ham loaf.  Don't ask about the ham loaf.  It was just wrong.  However, I was craving tuna patties.

I had never made them before.  I don't know why.  Just hadn't.  My kiddos had never had them.  I knew I didn't want to do them like my mom - didn't have her recipe anyhow.  My sister called when I was making them and I asked if she ever made them.  She said "No! I always hated them and ham loaf."  

Yep.

These tuna patties taste nothing like my mom's, though.  They were really good!  Who knew?!  My kiddos loved them.  My husband loved them.  My dogs wanted them, but didn't get them.  They are always hopeful, though.


I served the tuna patties with mac 'n cheese - just in case no one liked them.  You can find that recipe here  http://ahawker.blogspot.com/2012/08/macaroni-and-cheese.html  (It was really penne 'n cheese. Whatever.)

Here is my recipe for tuna patties.  Don't be afraid.  They were really good.  This made enough for my family - feel free to cut it in half.


Tuna Patties

4 (7 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
1/2 cup onion (about 1/2 onion), diced fine
1 Tablespoon mustard (I would have used Dijon, but didn't have any. I used plain old yellow mustard)
3 large eggs, beaten
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
Olive oil, for sautéing


Place the tuna, onions, mustard, eggs, lemon juice, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs in a bowl and mix it up.


Place the remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs on a plate.

Take a scoop of tuna and put it in the bread crumbs, pressing slightly to flatten a little.  Turn the patty over to cover the other side.


Heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a sauté pan (just a fancy way of saying frying pan).  Add the patties and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.


Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment