10/23/2012

Apple Pie Jam








My oldest kiddo is serving a 2 year mission for our church. (For more about that, see my earlier post http://ahawker.blogspot.com/2012/06/california-san-fernando-mission.htmlI miss him terribly.  He is my kiddo.  It sometimes feels like I severed a limb and sent it to California.  He, however, does not miss me in the same way (I don't think - he is not very verbose in his letter writing).  He is not supposed to.  He is having an adventure, doing things like serving others and growing up. *sigh*
How I still see my boy.
 
What he really looks like.
Apple Pie Jam is Joseph's favorite.  That is what I'm making today.  I almost didn't, but did anyhow.  It makes me happy and sad.  That's what kiddos do.
 
This jam is great on toast.  If you are creative, you could even make little pie crusts in a mini muffin tin and fill them with a spoonful of this jam. You could even warm it again and top vanilla ice cream with it, kinda like a reverse pie a la mode. Yummy.
 
 
Apple Pie Jam
makes about 8 8ounce jars
 
3/4 cup raisins
6 cups apples, peeled cored and chopped
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 cup apple juice, unsweetened
1 package regular powdered fruit pectin
9 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 
Prepare canner, jars and lids.
 
In a food processor, pulse raisins until finely chopped.  Set aside.
 
In a large saucepan, combine apples and lemon zest and juice and apple juice.  Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until apples begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in pectin until dissolved.  Stir in raisins.  Return to high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Boil hard, stirring all the while, for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch of headspace.  Wipe rim.  Center lid on jar and screw band down until finger tight.
Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Remove jars and listen for the "ping".  Cool and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment