10/27/2012

Mulligatawny Soup




I had never had Mulligatawny Soup until I moved to New England.  It is really good.  I love curry and the Indian flavors that are present in this soup.  When I googled the soup, I found out out that the translation of this word is "pepper water".  Cool.
If you wanted to make this soup vegetarian, substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth, omit the chicken and add a cup or two of dried red lentils.  Should work.
Mulligatawny Soup
4 Tablespoons ghee or butter
1 1/2 pounds chicken, boneless, skinless, diced (I used tenders)
1/4 cup flour (omit if doing vegetarian)
2 teaspoons garam masala OR curry powder
2 cups small diced onions (about 1 large)
1 cup carrots, sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon ginger, minced
2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and minced
1-2 cups potatoes, diced
1-2 cups butternut squash OR sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon curry paste
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 cups (2 quarts) chicken stock
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained OR 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 cups steamed (cooked) white rice (I used basmati)
In a Ziploc bag, add the flour, chicken and 2 teaspoons of garam masala (or curry if you can't find garam masala.)  Shake it up.
In a large saucepan (this soup makes a lot), melt the ghee or butter.  When it is hot, add the chicken and start to brown it.
Add the rest of the ingredients down to the chicken stock.  I just add them as I chop them.  Saute for about 5 -10 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the spices are aromatic.
Add the stock and tomatoes.  Simmer until all of the vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, vinegar and rice.  Simmer 10 minutes more.
Lovely.  Even better the next day.

1 comment:

  1. It's all good! I had TWO servings of this at the halloween party. I LOVE curry!

    ReplyDelete