10/14/2012

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

Do you like the smell of bread?  How about pumpkin pie?  Ever thought of combining them?  It is really good.
 
I saw this recipe on the Facebook page of "Canning Granny".  You should check out her site.  It's really good. 
 
When this recipe was posted, I thought, I have to try it.  Here it is.  I used I loaf of white French bread and 1/3 loaf of left over Challah (thanks, Chelsea, it was soooo good. BTW, I would love to have your honey cake recipe.)
 
 
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
 
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup cream
6 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I grind my own, it tastes a lot better and I live in Connecticut - the nutmeg state)
1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin puree OR 1 3/4 cups of pumpkin puree
1 (or so) loaves of French or Italian bread, sliced thick and torn into large chunks
whipped cream to top the pudding (optional - or not)
 

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the bread and whipped cream.
Whisk.

Add the bread and stir until all the chunks are moistened.
Cover and soak the bread mixture.  Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 13x9 inch baking dist with nonstick spray.  Spoon in bread mixture.
Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until set.  Let cool slightly.
Serve warm with whipped cream.
 

If you want to serve it in ramekins,  spoon into greased ramekins.  Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment