10/21/2012

Kiwi Jam





This whole blog started with me blogging about canning and preserving.  I do it all the time.  It's fun and it gives me a sense of accomplishment to see all the fruits (pun intended) of my labor.
 
Sometimes, when I buy fruit, my kiddos eat it up sooooo fast.  Other times, not so much.  That is what happened with a bunch of kiwis that I bought.  My kiddos like kiwis.  They eat them - usually.  Not this time, however.  So here I was, in my kitchen, staring at a pile of uneaten, quickly ripening, kiwis.  I didn't want to toss them in the bin.  That's a waste of money.  If they were bananas, I would be making banana bread.  If they were berries, I would be making jam.  If they - wait a minute.  Jam?  Kiwi?  Never seen it.  Never done it.  Cool!
 
Kiwi Jam was born.
It's kinda sweet-tart and very refreshing.
 
It looks a little creepy on bread - perfect for right before Halloween.
 
 
 
Kiwi Jam
this made 10 - 8ounce jars of jam
 
4 cups crushed peeled kiwifruit
1 1/3 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
2/3 cups lime juice
2 packages regular powdered fruit pectin
6 cups sugar
 
Prepare canner, jars and lids.
 
In a large saucepan, combine kiwi, both juices and pectin.
Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently.
Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and skim off foam.
Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.  Wipe rim.  Center lid on jar and screw the band down finger-tight.
Place jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Remove from water onto a towel on the counter and wait for the lovely "ping" from the jars sealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment