1/23/2013

Apple Crisp



I'm behind on my postings.  So much to do, so little time.  I have been cooking and canning up a storm - biscuits, marmalade, soup, so many things.  I took pictures, but I didn't always write down what I did, thinking that I would remember.  Of course I would remember.
 
Or not.
 
My 16 year old kiddo says that he thinks that I should remake everything.
 
He would.
 
He, being 16, thinks he is hungry if his eyes are open.  Those were the days.
 
I did write down how I made this apple crisp, however.  It is my favorite.  It's not like I haven't made it before and won't make it again - I just don't usually measure.  You know what I mean.
 
If you want this to be gluten-free, just substitute rice flour or another kind of flour for the wheat flour.  It doesn't need to rise, so it shouldn't be an issue.
 
 
Apple Crisp
 
8 cups apples, peeled and sliced (I use 6 Granny Smith and 2-3 golden delicious.  You use whatever you have.)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
 
Topping:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup flour
2 cups oatmeal (not instant)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (if you use unsalted butter, add 1/2 teaspoon salt)
 
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
 
Stir together first 5 ingredients. 
Spread the apple mixture in a 13x9 inch baking pan.
 
In a large bowl or food processor, mix together the remaining ingredients, except the butter.
Cut the butter into chunks.  Add to the oatmeal mixture and cut into (or pulse) until the mixture has pea size chunks of butter.
Sprinkle over the apple mixture.
 
Bake at 375 degrees for 45 - 60 minutes, until the apples are soft ant the topping is lightly browned and crispy.
 
Serve warm or cold with ice cream or all alone.  It is lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment