1/02/2013

English Toffee




I know, I know.  This is the time of year that everyone is dieting.  This might be considered mean to blog about making candy.
 
Sorry.
 
Sometimes you just need chocolate.
 
You know that you agree with me.
 
My mom made this candy all the time.  I don't use a thermometer with this one.  It is all about the color of the candy.  You can do it.  It is  really easy.  It's really good, too.
 
Would I kid you?
 
 
English Toffee
 
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup chopped or sliced nuts - I like almonds (just leave them out if you don't like them)
1/4 cup water
1 12 ounce package milk chocolate chips (the better the chip, the better the candy.  I like Guittard best.  You can taste the difference.)
 
Butter a 9X13 baking pan.
Mix water, sugar and butter in a heavy saucepan. Heat on medium high until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
Bring to a full boil.
Add 3/4 cup of the nuts.
Cook on high heat, stirring almost constantly until the candy smokes and turns a caramel color.
 

Not dark enough.
Almost there.


Dark enough and smoking.

Pour into  a buttered 9X13 pan.
Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
Let the chips sit for a few minutes and spread over the candy.
Sprinkle remaining nuts over soft chocolate.
 
Let cool completely.
Break into pieces.

1 comment: