8/15/2012

Banana Bread

What do you think of when you hear "banana bread"?  Do you think of your grandma?  The smell?  The taste?  Love it?  Hate it?  Is it for breakfast or dessert?  Do you make it?  Have a favorite recipe?  Nuts or not?  Chocolate chips or not?

I have a favorite recipe for banana bread.  I also like it with no nuts.  My kiddos like it with chocolate chips or cream cheese.

When I buy bananas, they get eaten pretty fast.  Mostly.  My kiddos have figured out that if they leave the last 2 or 3 bananas until they are brown, chances are I will make them into bread - I hate wasting food.  Sneaky kids.  I really like that about them.

Banana Bread

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice (I have used vinegar in a pinch)
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a loaf pan.
Cream butter and sugar.

Add eggs and beat.
Add bananas, milk and lemon juice.  (This is going to curdle the mixture.  Don't freak out.  This is good.  It will make it very moist.)
Add dry ingredients and mix it.
Add nuts and/or chocolate chips.  Or not.
Bake in the loaf pan for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment