8/24/2012

Rainbow Cake in a Jar

Rainbow in a Jar!!!!  I am having so much fun with this!
 
My friend, Lori J., posted a picture of these on Facebook a few days ago.  I haven't been able to get it out of my head.  They made me smile.  Who doesn't need to smile?  I followed the link to http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/04/08/rainbow-cake-in-a-jar/ .  I knew I had to try it.
 
I have jars.  I even have cake mix.  I don't have canned frosting, but that is super easy to make.  Can't stop smiling.  They are so fun!
 
I used 2 cake mixes and 1/2 pint jars.  (I thought that a full pint 'o cake would be too much.)  Here is what I did.
 
 
Rainbow Cake in a Jar
 
12 - 1/2 pint canning jars
2 white cake mixes
neon gel food color in purple, teal, green, yellow and pink
white frosting (I'll put my recipe at the end)
rainbow sprinkles
 
Make the cake mix according to the package directions (I used 3 whole eggs instead of 4 egg whites.)  Divide the batter between 5 bowls, about 1 1/2 cups of batter per bowl.  It doesn't have to be exact.
 
Color each bowl of batter a different color, make it as vibrant as you want.
My kiddo, Emily, was in charge of this part.  It looks like a batter you would see in the Wonka factory.
 
Spray each jar with non-stick cooking spray.  Divide the purple batter into each jar, about 1 Tablespoon.  Repeat with each color (we did purple, teal, green, yellow then pink) being careful not to stir the colors together.
 
Put the jars in a large baking dish and fill the baking dish with about 1/4 inch of water.
 
Place in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.  Don't worry if they are above the rim of the jar, they will sink a little as they cool.
 
Cool on the counter.
 
Frost and sprinkle and smile.
 
You can put the lid on the jars and keep them in the fridge for up to a week.  Happy day.
 
 
 
Easy Frosting
 
1 stick butter (8 ounces), softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3-4 Tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
 
Beat all the ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.  Isn't that easy?  It's so much better than what ever it is in the canned frosting.

1 comment:

  1. Leave it to you, Mrs. Hawker!!! Awesome! Now I am going to have to try this for my lil' one! xoxo - Lori J.

    ReplyDelete