8/21/2012

Stuffed Shells

These definitely got the stamp of approval from my family.  They were pretty easy, too.  I had just made my own red sauce to bottle (I posted that recipe right before this so I didn't forget what I did) but use whatever canned red sauce that you like. (I like Prego)


Stuffed Shells

12 oz. box of jumbo shells
24 oz. container of ricotta cheese (just come close)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
12 basil leaves, chiffonade (cut up), you can leave this out but it is good with
1 cup spinach, I used frozen chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds mild Italian sausage, loose
1 quart favorite red/marinara sauce

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Brown the sausage in a skillet.
  When cooked add the sauce and stir it up.


In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the package directions less 2 minutes (it will absorb some of the sauce when cooking.)  Drain and rinse in cool water.

In the other meantime, combine the ricotta cheese, 1/2 of the Parmesan and 1/2 of the mozzarella, egg, basil, spinach, salt and pepper.  Stir it up.

Put 1/2 of the sauce/sausage mixture in the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.

Into each shell, put about 1 Tablespoon of the cheese mixture and place stuffed shell in the baking dish on top of the sauce.  Fill up that dish.

When all the shells are stuffed, pour the remaining sauce over them.  Sprinkle the remaining cheeses on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbly.




No comments:

Post a Comment