8/03/2012

Frito Pie and Frito Bandito

Frito Pie. This is something that can stir some pretty strong emotions with a lot of people.  It is true comfort food.  Fast and easy.  It even makes a good school lunch, just put the chili in a little thermos, add a bag of chips, some cheese and onion in the lunch bag and you're good to go.

This is how I make Frito pie.  My Frito pie chili is different from my normal chili.  I don't know why - it just is.  I also add beans.  Yes, I do.  I know, I know, there are a lot of purests that say beans have absolutely no place in Frito pie.  To them I say get a life and don't judge me because i like beans that's okay.  Leave them out.  It will be fine.

My mom used to make Frito casserole.  Ah, good times.  It wasn't until I returned to Texas after college that I was introduced to Frito pie and (what I like to call) Frito bandito.

Here's how you build 'em.

 Frito Pie or Frito Bandito
For classic Frito Pie, slit the bag of Fritos (I prefer the side slit technique)
Add a spoonful of chili.  Quickly add cheese so it gets nice and melty.
Add chopped onions (if desired) and eat it right out of the bag.
 For the Frito Bandito, follow the above steps, except the eating out of the bag.  It is usually too full.  Empty the bag into a bowl.  Add the chili, cheese and onion.  To make it a bandito, add jalapenos, sour cream and lettuce.
You might now be considered a Texan!  Hooray!

Frito Pie Chili

2 pounds ground chuck
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can (14 ounce) diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 can (14 ounce) black beans
1 can (14 ounce) kidney beans

For pie:
individual bags of Fritos
grated cheddar cheese
diced onion
sour cream (bandito)
jalapenos (bandito)
shredded lettuce (bandito)

Brown ground chuck with garlic in a pot over medium-high heat.  Drain beef.
Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder.
Reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 30 minutes.
Drain and rinse beans (otherwise they are a bit slimy).
Add beans to chili and simmer for a final 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment