8/02/2012

Bruschetta in a Jar

All of a sudden I have a ton of tomatoes.  I have been looking forward to this all summer!  This is the first thing that I have canned with tomatoes this summer.  I chose bruschetta because we love it and also *sheepish grin* I didn't feel like peeling tomatoes to make sauce.  I don't like peeling anything more complicated that a banana.

This bruschetta is really good.  I have made it before.  I am, however, at the mercy of the liquor store when buying wine.  You see, I don't drink.  At all.  So I just describe what I want and tell them how much I am willing to pay and take whatever they give me.  Oh well.

To eat the bruschetta, spoon it on a toasted baguette and garnish with grated cheese or a basil leaf or even a splash of really good olive oil.  It's really good.


Bruschetta in a Jar

5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons dried basil
2 Tablespoons dried oregano
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
9 cups chopped plum tomatoes ( I use what ever tomatoes I have)

Prepare canner jars and lids.
In a saucepan, combine garlic, wine, vinegar - white and balsamic, water, sugar, basil, and oregano.  Bring to full rolling boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.
Pack tomatoes into hot jars to within a generous 1/2 inch of top of jar.  Ladle hot vinegar mixture into jar to cover tomatoes, leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Remove air bubbles ( I use a chopstick) and, if necessary add more hot liquid. *I didn't have enough hot liquid so I added wine to each bottle.  Yep, I did.*
Wipe rim.  Put on lids and bands.
Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water.  Bring to a boil and process for 20 minutes.  Label and store.

This made 5 1/2 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment