8/01/2012

Moroccan Lamb - Tagine style with the slow cooker

When I lived in France, I had the opportunity to attend part of a Moroccan wedding ceremony.  I say part because, from what I understand, the festivities last for days.  I'm not sure which part I attended, but the experience was unforgettable.  I was in a suite of rooms with only women.  These normally sedate and quiet women had shed their veils.  Such dresses!  Such dances!  Such partying!  I don't ever remember seeing the bride, but her family was incredible.  And the food, *sigh* the food was great.  It was my first introduction to Moroccan food.  I loved it - the blend of spices, the variety, sweet and savory.  It was incredible.

In this recipe, you get a sense of the culture.  The slow cooker creates the same kind of gentle cooking that is traditional with a tagine - especially welcome on a hot day.

I used Israeli couscous with this, although the smaller couscous is more traditional.


Moroccan Lamb Tagine

2 (or more) pounds of boneless lamb
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2-3 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces OR 1 1/2 cups baby carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 diced Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup pitted whole dates, quartered
1/2 cup pitted green or black olives (go to the imported olives)
2 Tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
lemon zest from 1 lemon
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth

3-4 cups cooked couscous (or more depending on your family)

Trim fat from meat.  Cut meat into 1 inch pieces.  Place in slow cooker.
Sprinkle spices over meat.  Toss gently.
Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-5 hours.
Serve in shallow bowls over hot cooked couscous.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of those recipes that's really good as leftovers. There's usually enough (after 3 teenagers) that I can make a lunch for work. The lamb literally falls apart, like a perfect pot roast, and the spices and olives make this a fabulous and interesting dish. The only caution I have is be careful with the cinnamon. We use a really good variety (Saigon), and if you're not careful, it can go from subtle to overpowering.

    ReplyDelete